These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
Alison Berg was recently hired as director of sales and marketing at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center in Austin, Texas.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role as director of sales and marketing for the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center? I am thrilled to be part of this amazing team. The AT&T Executive Hotel and Conference Center is expanding. We currently have more than 50,000 square feet of event space; by early 2018 we will have more than 80,000 square feet of event space. I am super excited to unveil the brand new 15,000-square-foot ballroom and share all that this dynamic property has to offer.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role at AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center? I have more than 20 years of hospitality, sales and marketing experience, and I have been fortunate to call Austin my home for the last 10 years. During that time, I have successfully opened three brand-new full-service hotels. It is refreshing and exciting to be involved in the continued growth of this unique property. We are located on the University of Texas campus with 297 guest rooms and more than 80,000 square feet of event space.
3. What goals do you have in mind for this year and further down the line? The goal is simple: Create a clear marketing campaign that lets everyone know all that we offer and continue to provide excellent service for meetings and events. We have a vast amount of flexible space that I can't wait to share with you.
4. How did you get into the industry? I graduated from Pennsylvania State University and studied hotel, restaurant and institutional management. I started in the food and beverage industry as soon as I was able to work. While trying to determine my major in college, it finally occurred to me that I was already working in the industry that I was passionate about, and I am still having fun.
5. What do you enjoy most about the organization? I truly love the uniqueness of our hotel. It is exciting to work for an independent brand. Most of all, I enjoy the people, the team and our guests.