These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scott Cotton was recently hired as the general manager for the Marriott Marquis Houston.
1. What are you most looking forward to in your new role as general manager for the Marriott Marquis Houston? Two of the things I enjoy most are teambuilding and setting strategies for a hotel property. This position gives me the opportunity to do both with a fresh slate.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role? Three key experiences I’ve had include:
a. Big–box Experience. I have worked at a number of top convention and hotels in cities such as Chicago and Atlanta.
b. Teambuilding. I excel at molding strong teams and have done so throughout my career.
c. Sales. My 20-plus years of sales experience will be crucial as I work closely with the Houston CVB and the hotel lodging team to bring new business to Houston.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the hotel for this year and farther down the line? My primary goal is to hire the best people possible for the Marriott Marquis Houston and set them up for success. Long term, I want to see the hotel as a catalyst for Houston—generating new demand and excitement for downtown Houston.
4. How did you get into the industry? I grew up in the hospitality industry. My dad, who turns 90 on Dec. 23, has been both a general manager and a vice president within the Marriott family.
5. What do you enjoy most about the hotel and the company as a whole? I am proud of Marriott’s philosophy of putting people first. If you take care of your hosts, they will take care of their guests and the profits will follow. As for the Marriott Marquis Houston, I am excited to have the opportunity to start fresh and create a positive hotel culture.