These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sheila Sandoval was recently hired as the director of sales at the Stella Hotel in Bryan, Texas.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role as director of sales for The Stella Hotel? Creating relationships/friendships and partnerships not only with potential clients but my counterparts within the industry as well.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role? I have more than 30 years of experience in the industry working both for branded boutique hotels and a casino hotel. I have learned that no matter where you are or what property you work for, it is all about service, developing partnerships and standing behind your word.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the hotel for this year and further down the line? To be the premier property not only within the Bryan-College Station area but also in the feeder cities. The goal is to have repeat clients as well as referrals from clients due to the exceptional experience that they have with us. We want to be part of special memories as well as successful meetings. We will strive to ensure that our guests can relax and enjoy their stay no matter what the occasion may be.
4. How did you get into the industry? I applied for a receptionist job right out of high school because I thought it sounded glamorous. I was hooked at that point and enjoyed working within several different departments but found that sales was my passion.
5. What do you enjoy most about the hospitality industry? I truly enjoy being able to meet so many people and help them create and execute the vision that they may have for their event/meeting or a simple get-away. Getting to know both external and internal clients and developing friendships along the way. I love to see the excitement when a sales person secures that wonderful booking or when a guest acknowledges one of the associates for making their stay pleasant.